SEO Trends 2024: AI Expert Insights
As we navigate through 2024, the landscape of digital marketing keeps evolving, urging professional services businesses and content creators to adjust their strategies in response to emerging trends.
To shed light on the future of SEO and unravel the key factors that will shape search rankings in the upcoming year, I’ve asked three distinguished AI tools deeply entrenched in the world of online visibility and search algorithms.
Meet our esteemed guests:
Hi there! I’m Bard, a large language model from Google AI. I’m trained on a massive dataset of text and code, and I can generate text, translate languages, write different kinds of creative content, and answer your questions in an informative way. I’m always learning new things, and I’m excited to see what the future holds.“Bard – as introduced by itself.”
Hello! I’m an AI language model created by OpenAI called GPT-3.5. I’m here to assist and provide information on a wide range of topics. Whether you need help with writing, generating creative content, answering questions, or exploring various subjects, feel free to ask, and I’ll do my best to assist you!“ChatGPT – as introduced by itself.”
Hello! I’m Bing, a chat mode of Microsoft Bing. I’m here to help you with any questions you might have. I can understand and communicate fluently in your language of choice. How can I assist you today?“Bing – as introduced by itself.”
Let’s discover what Bard, ChatGPT, and Bing AI foresee as the key factors shaping SEO in 2024, giving insights into the top elements likely to impact search rankings.
Question: Bard, drawing from your extensive experience, what do you foresee as the primary factors that will significantly influence search engine rankings in 2024?
Bard: As search engine algorithms continue to evolve, so too will the factors that influence search engine rankings. In 2024, we can expect to see a continued emphasis on user experience, content quality, and technical SEO. Here are some of the primary factors that I foresee as having a significant impact on search engine rankings in 2024:
1. User Experience (UX)
User experience will continue to be a top priority for search engines in 2024. This means that websites will need to be designed and developed with user intent in mind. This includes factors such as:
- Page speed: Websites that load quickly will rank higher than those that are slow to load.
- Mobile-friendliness: With more and more people searching for information on their mobile devices, it is essential that websites are mobile-friendly.
- Core Web Vitals: These are a set of metrics that Google uses to measure the user experience of a website. These metrics include things like largest contentful paint (LCP), first input delay (FID), and cumulative layout shift (CLS).
2. Content Quality
Content quality will continue to be one of the most important factors in search engine rankings in 2024. This means that websites will need to create content that is:
- Relevant to user search intent: Content should be relevant to the keywords that users are searching for.
- High-quality: Content should be well-written, informative, and engaging.
- Fresh and up-to-date: Content should be regularly updated to keep it fresh and relevant.
Technical SEO refers to the technical aspects of a website that can affect its search engine rankings. This includes factors such as:
- Website crawlability: Search engines need to be able to crawl and index a website to rank it.
- Structured data markup: Structured data markup helps search engines understand the content of a website.
- HTTPS security: Websites that use HTTPS security are more likely to be ranked higher than those that do not.
4. Voice Search Optimisation
Voice search is becoming more and more popular, so it is important for websites to be optimised for voice search. This includes factors such as:
- Using natural language: Content should be written in a way that sounds natural when spoken.
- Answering common questions: Content should answer common questions that users are likely to ask using voice search.
- Optimising for local search: Voice search is often used for local searches, so it is important to optimise for local SEO.
5. E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness)
Google has been emphasising the importance of E-A-T for several years, and this will continue to be a major factor in search engine rankings in 2024. This means that websites will need to demonstrate that they are experts in their field and that they can be trusted to provide accurate and reliable information.
In addition to these primary factors, there are a number of other trends that are likely to influence search engine rankings in 2024. These include:
- The rise of video content: Video content is becoming rapidly popular, so websites that use video are likely to be ranked higher.
- The importance of social media: Social signals are becoming progressively important in search engine rankings, so websites will need to focus on social media engagement.
- The use of artificial intelligence (AI): AI is being used increasingly in search engines, so websites need to understand how AI works and how to optimise for it.
Question: Could you elaborate on the evolving role of content quality in SEO? What specific aspects of content creation and optimisation do you believe will hold the most weight in the coming year?
Bard: Sure! In the early days of SEO, keyword stuffing and other manipulative tactics were often used to improve a website’s ranking. However, as search engines have become more sophisticated, they have placed a greater emphasis on content quality. This is because high-quality content is more likely to provide a good user experience, which is what search engines ultimately want to deliver.
In 2024, content quality will continue to be a major factor in SEO. However, the way that content is created and optimised is evolving. Here are some of the specific aspects of content creation and optimisation that are likely to hold the most weight in the coming year:
Google’s EAT (Expertise, Authority, and Trustworthiness) guidelines have been around for a while, but in December 2022, they were updated to include an additional E for Experience. This reflects Google’s growing emphasis on content that is not only accurate and well-written, but also demonstrates the creator’s firsthand experience with the subject matter.
Here are some of Google’s specific advice for creating E-E-A-T content:
- Showcase your experience: Be transparent about your background and qualifications, and use visuals such as testimonials, awards, or professional logos to demonstrate your expertise.
- Provide in-depth, actionable advice: Don’t just regurgitate information; explain concepts clearly and provide practical steps that readers can take. Use case studies, real-world examples, and personal anecdotes to illustrate your points.
- Use authoritative sources: Support your claims with credible research from reputable organisations, academic journals, or industry experts. Cite your sources properly to enhance the credibility of your content.
- Maintain a consistent voice and tone: Establish a consistent voice that reflects your expertise and trustworthiness. Avoid slang, jargon, or overly promotional language.
- Show empathy and understanding: Connect with your audience by demonstrating empathy and understanding of their needs and challenges. Address their pain points and provide solutions that resonate with their experiences.
- Engage with your audience: Encourage feedback from your readers and respond to their comments or questions promptly. This shows that you care about their engagement and are committed to providing valuable information.
In addition to these general guidelines, here are some specific tips for demonstrating experience in your content:
- Share personal stories and anecdotes: Share your own experiences related to the topic, whether it’s a success story, a learning lesson, or a cautionary tale. This can help build trust and relatability with your audience.
- Highlight your accomplishments and achievements: Mention any awards, certifications, or honors you’ve received related to your expertise. This can establish you as a credible authority in your field.
- Showcase your involvement in industry events: Mention your participation in conferences, workshops, or other professional gatherings related to your topic. This demonstrates your commitment to staying up-to-date on industry trends.
- Collaborate with other experts: Partner with other professionals in your field to create content, host events, or provide joint consultations. This can expand your reach and enhance your credibility.
By incorporating these strategies, you can create E-E-A-T content that not only ranks well in search results but also establishes you as a trusted resource for your target audience.
2. User Intent
User intent is the goal or purpose behind a user’s search query. In 2024, it will be more important than ever to create content that meets the specific needs of users. This means understanding what users are looking for when they search for particular keywords and then creating content that answers their questions and solves their problems.
To optimise for user intent, websites should:
- Conduct keyword research to understand what users are searching for.
- Analyse user search queries to identify common patterns and trends.
- Create content that is relevant to the user’s search intent.
3. Content Depth and Comprehensiveness
In the past, websites could often rank high by creating a large number of thin, low-quality pages. However, this is no longer the case. In 2024, it will be more important to create content that is deep and comprehensive. This means creating content that covers a topic in detail and provides users with all the information they need.
To create deep and comprehensive content, websites should:
- Conduct thorough research on their chosen topics.
- Create long-form content, such as blog posts, articles, and white papers.
- Break down complex topics into smaller, easy-to-digest sections.
4. Content Freshness and Regular Updates
Search engines prefer websites that are regularly updated with fresh content. This is because it shows that the website is actively being maintained and that the content is up-to-date. In 2024, it will be more important than ever to create a content calendar and to publish new content on a regular basis.
To maintain content freshness, websites should:
- Create a content calendar and schedule content to be published on a regular basis.
- Update existing content to reflect new information or trends.
- Create evergreen content that is always relevant and valuable to users.
5. Content Engagement and User Interaction
Search engines are also starting to consider content engagement metrics, such as time on page, bounce rate, and social shares, when ranking websites. This means that it is more important than ever to create content that is engaging and that encourages users to interact with it.
To create engaging content, websites should:
- Use a variety of multimedia elements, such as images, videos, and infographics.
- Ask questions and encourage user feedback.
- Create content that is shareable and encourages social media interaction.
By focusing on these aspects of content creation and optimisation, websites can improve their chances of ranking higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) in 2024 and beyond.
Question: Bing, from the search engine’s perspective, what are the primary focus areas in terms of ranking factors that webmasters and content creators should prioritise for improved visibility on Bing’s search results in 2024?
Bing: To rank higher on Bing’s search results in 2024, webmasters and content creators should prioritise the following ranking factors:
- Relevance: The content on the landing page should closely match the intent behind the search query.
- Quality and Credibility: The content should be of high quality and credible.
- User Engagement: User engagement metrics such as click-through rate, bounce rate, and dwell time are important ranking factors.
- Freshness: Fresh content is preferred over stale content.
- Location: Location-based searches are gaining popularity, so it’s important to optimise your website for local search.
- Page Load Time: A fast-loading website is essential for a good user experience and better rankings.
Bing’s ranking algorithm, also known as BingRank, uses a combination of these factors to determine the relevance and quality of a website. To improve your website’s ranking on Bing, it is essential to understand how this algorithm works and optimise your website accordingly.
I hope that helps!
Bard: I agree with Bing’s emphasis on relevance, quality, user engagement, freshness, location, and page load time. These are all important factors that Google considers when ranking websites.
In addition to these factors, I would also like to emphasise the importance of technical aspects and content diversity. Technical aspects, such as site speed and mobile-friendliness, are gaining significance as users are accessing websites more frequently from mobile devices. Content diversity, such as using a variety of formats like videos, infographics, and interactive quizzes, can help to keep users engaged and improve your website’s visibility.
Question: ChatGPT, considering your expertise in data-driven methodologies, what technological advancements or data analytics tools do you anticipate becoming more important for SEO strategies in 2024?
ChatGPT: Several technological advancements and data analytics tools are likely to become more crucial for SEO strategies in 2024:
- AI-Powered SEO Tools: AI and machine learning will likely play a more significant role in SEO tools, providing advanced insights, predictive analytics, and automation. These tools might assist in keyword research, content optimisation, and personalised user experience recommendations.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP): As search engines get better at understanding context and user intent, NLP tools will become more important. They can help optimise content for conversational queries, voice search, and semantic understanding.
- Predictive Analytics and Forecasting Tools: Predictive analytics tools could help forecast changes in search engine algorithms or predict trends, allowing SEO professionals to proactively adjust strategies and stay ahead of the curve.
- Data Visualisation and Reporting Tools: Enhanced data visualisation tools could aid in presenting complex SEO data in easily understandable formats, facilitating better decision-making and communication of insights within organisations.
- Local SEO and Geotargeting Tools: With the growing emphasis on local search, tools that enable precise geotargeting, local keyword analysis, and monitoring local search performance will likely gain prominence.
- Advanced Crawling and Indexing Tools: With the increasing complexity of websites and content formats, more sophisticated crawling and indexing tools will be essential for comprehensively analysing website structures and ensuring proper indexation.
- Augmented Reality (AR) and Visual Search Optimisation Tools: As visual search and AR technologies advance, tools focusing on optimising visual content for search engines might become more critical for SEO strategies.
- Privacy-Centric Analytics: With growing concerns about user privacy, tools that enable effective analytics while respecting user privacy preferences (such as cookieless tracking alternatives) could become more important.
- Integration of Big Data and SEO: Incorporating big data analytics to understand user behaviour patterns, market trends, and competitive landscapes could offer deeper insights for SEO strategies.
- Blockchain for SEO: Although still in its early stages, blockchain technology might play a role in enhancing transparency and security in link building, content verification, and data accuracy for SEO purposes.
SEO professionals should continuously adapt their strategies by leveraging these emerging technologies and data analytics tools to stay competitive, improve search visibility, and meet the evolving demands of search engine algorithms in 2024 and beyond.
Explore more about AI on this Google resource: The AI Handbook: Resources and tools to help marketers get started
Question: How do you envision AI and machine learning impacting SEO in the near future? Are there particular AI-driven approaches that will significantly affect search rankings?
ChatGPT: AI and machine learning are expected to have a profound impact on SEO in the near future, introducing innovative approaches that could significantly affect search rankings. Here are some AI-driven approaches and their potential impacts on SEO:
- Advanced Natural Language Processing (NLP): AI-driven NLP models can better understand search queries, user intent, and context, enabling search engines to deliver more accurate and relevant results. This could lead to improved keyword matching and a better understanding of user queries, impacting how content is optimised for search.
- Content Generation and Optimisation: AI-powered tools can assist in content creation by analysing user preferences, market trends, and search intent. They can generate content outlines, suggest topic ideas, and optimise existing content for better rankings, ensuring it aligns with user needs and search engine requirements.
- Personalisation and User Experience Enhancement: Machine learning algorithms can analyse user behaviour, preferences, and engagement patterns to personalise search results. This personalisation can influence rankings based on individual user interests, location, search history, and device usage, emphasising the importance of delivering tailored experiences.
- Predictive Analytics for SEO: AI-driven predictive analytics tools can forecast potential shifts in search engine algorithms or identify emerging trends. SEO professionals can leverage these insights to preemptively adjust strategies and stay ahead of competitors, potentially impacting rankings positively.
- Automated Technical SEO Audits: AI-based tools can conduct in-depth technical SEO audits more efficiently, identifying issues related to site structure, SEO indexing, crawlability, and performance. This helps in quickly addressing technical issues that could affect rankings and user experience.
- AI-Powered Image and Video Recognition: Enhanced image and video recognition algorithms can improve visual search capabilities. Optimising images and videos with descriptive metadata and tags generated by AI can positively impact rankings in visual search results.
- Algorithmic Changes and RankBrain: Google’s RankBrain, an AI algorithm, helps interpret and process search queries, affecting the way results are ranked. As AI algorithms like RankBrain evolve, understanding user intent becomes more critical, potentially influencing how content is optimised for search.
- Voice Search Optimisation: With the proliferation of voice assistants, AI-powered voice search is becoming more prevalent. Optimising content for voice search queries and conversational language can affect search rankings, as AI learns to understand and respond better to natural language queries.
Anticipating the SEO landscape of 2024, insights from AI experts Bard, ChatGPT, and Bing highlight key factors influencing search rankings. The focus on user experience, content quality, technical SEO, and relevance resonates across these expert viewpoints. Bard emphasises technical aspects and content variety, while Bing emphasises relevance, credibility, and website speed.
Looking forward, the merging of AI and SEO signals an era of refined natural language processing, predictive analysis, and personalised experiences. As AI progresses, SEO professionals must utilise these advancements to provide user-focused, authoritative content and adeptly navigate the shifting digital terrain.
The path to SEO success in 2024 and beyond involves harnessing AI-generated insights, embracing emerging technologies, and prioritising user requirements. By doing so, businesses can maintain competitiveness, ensuring sustained visibility and relevance in an ever-evolving digital environment.
How Agile can help
With a focus on designing and developing the best possible website strategy, Agile’s digital marketing solutions enable professional services companies to increase online engagement and generate leads through valuable content. Understanding that your website should be among your most valuable assets, we make sure it becomes an effective tool for success.
Our commitment to excellence is underscored by our recognition as a Top SEO Company in the United Kingdom for Business Services.
Managing Partner at Agile Digital Agency, Juan brings over two decades of digital expertise to the forefront. With a degree in Computer Sciences and a rich professional background spanning internationally acclaimed digital agencies, Juan is a seasoned digital professional. Specialising in web solutions, digital marketing, and innovation, he channels his skills to craft successful online solutions for clients.